Tuesday, July 17, 2012

NETS standards

I picked these 5 out of the 6 because they are the ones that I do well in my class.
I. knowing the technology
- This is important because the teacher has to have a good grasp on the technology they are using in their class
-  The question is how hard will it be to keep up with the technology and how is training going to be carried out?  Who pays for it, time issues, it is going to be tough.
II.  Plan and Design technology laced lessons
-  I picked this because this is fun for me - creating "cool" lessons, or lessons I hope are cool is fun.  Its important as the lessons have to be good and be able to engage the students.
III.  Using the technology to create learning environments for the students and to foster creativity is probably the hardest.  I was trained on lecturing, now I am a technology teacher and a history teacher together.  It is tough.
V.  Applying the Technology
- Here teachers have to keep applying the technology and to keep up on it.  It is kinda 1-3 all combined.  You have to use it.  It is kinda like the three steps of dieting, you have to eat well, exercise, and step three is to continue to keep doing steps one and two.  After you have learned the technology, made the plans and then used them, you have to keep doing it.  Might be the toughest.
VI. Ethics
- Teachers have to teach students ethical ways to use technology.  Especially since we are the ones teaching them how to use it.  It needs to be safe and healthy.

The one I skipped was assessment and evaluation - it is so hard to do that.  I have rubrics but most are so objectionable that it is hard.  Joe's idea of "badges" is a pretty good idea.



4 comments:

  1. I agree with you here - especially on your first point. Knowing the technology helps us be much more efficient and effective educators, but how do we avoid the issues of both keeping up with the technology and the technology keeping up with us, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the point that assessment is the toughest in grading technology. Rubrics help, but are often still debatable.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think ethics on social networks and the web will be a challenge to teach impulsive teens about. They live in the moment and may put something out there that they will regret minutes later. We will need to work on improving their awareness in this area.

      Delete